What is Self-Improvement?
Let’s define self-improvement.
3 Lessons on Self-Improvement to Read Now
- Feedback Loops: How to Master the Invisible Hand That Shapes Our Lives
- The Chemistry of Building Better Habits
- The Power of Placebo: What Happens When You Believe You’re Taking Steroids
Best Self-Improvement Books
Want more great self-improvement books? Browse my full list of the best self-help books.
All Self-Improvement Articles
This is a complete list of articles I have written on self-improvement. Enjoy!
- The Scientific Argument for Mastering One Thing at a Time
- Make Your Life Better by Saying Thank You in These 7 Situations
- How to Use Military Strategy to Build Better Habits
- How to Master the Invisible Hand That Shapes Our Lives
- This Zen Concept Will Help You Stop Being a Slave to Old Beliefs
- The Chemistry of Building Better Habits
- How to Stop Lying to Ourselves: A Call for Self-Awareness
- If Nothing Changes, Nothing Is Going to Change
- Olympic Medalist Dick Fosbury and the Power of Being Unconventional
- What Happens When You Believe You’re Taking Steroids
- Two Harvard Professors Reveal One Reason Our Brains Love to Procrastinate
- How to Fall in Love With Boredom and Unlock Your Mental Toughness
- Inside the Mind of a Mad Scientist
- You’re Not Ready for Marriage
- The 2 Types of Growth: Which One of These Growth Curves Are You Following?
- The Goal is Not the Point
- 5 Lessons on Being Wrong
- Stop Thinking and Start Doing: The Power of Practicing More
- Bob Mathias on How to Master the Art of Self-Confidence
- 5 Common Mistakes That Cause New Habits to Fail
- Constraints Make You Better: Why the Right Limitations Boost Performance
- To Make Big Gains, Avoid Tiny Losses
- 10 Lessons Learned from Squatting 400 Pounds
- 4 Reasonable Ways to Achieve Overnight Success
- Measure Backward, Not Forward
- How to Build New Habits by Taking Advantage of Old Ones
- What Are You Measuring In Your Life?
- How to Get Your Brain to Focus on What Matters
- How to Read More: The Simple System I’m Using to Read 30+ Books Per Year
- Plan For Failure: Being Consistent Is Not the Same as Being Perfect
- How to Change Your Beliefs and Stick to Your Goals for Good
- Stop Wasting Time on the Details and Commit to the Fundamentals
- I’m Using These 3 Simple Steps to Actually Stick with Good Habits
- I Watched an Artist Create Stained Glass And Learned An Important Lesson About Life
- Treat Failure Like a Scientist
- This Research Study Changed the Way We Think About Success (Here’s How You Can Use It)
- This Coach Improved Every Tiny Thing by 1 Percent and Here’s What Happened
- Why Trying to Be Perfect Won’t Help You Achieve Your Goals (And What Will)
- Do You Have to be Unhappy Now if You Want to be Successful Later?
- Follow the Recipe: Are You Being Patient Enough to See Results?
- You’re Not Good Enough to Be Disappointed
- 3 Simple Things You Can Do Right Now to Build Better Habits
- The Crime Your Brain Commits Against You
- Lessons on Success and Deliberate Practice from Mozart, Picasso, and Kobe Bryant
- What is Actually Required for Success?
- How to Stop Procrastinating on Your Goals by Using the “Seinfeld Strategy”
- How to Improve Your Health and Productivity Without Thinking
- The Mistake Smart People Make: Being In Motion vs. Taking Action
- How Your Beliefs Can Sabotage Your Behavior
- What is Your “Average Speed” in Your Life, Your Health, and Your Work?
- The Difference Between Being “Not Wrong” and Being Right
- Achieve Your Goals: Research Reveals a Simple Trick That Doubles Your Chances for Success
- How to Break a Bad Habit and Replace It With a Good One
- Get Back on Track: 7 Strategies to Help You Bounce Back After Slipping Up
- How to Say No, Resist Temptation, and Stick to Your Health Goals
- 3 Time Management Tips That Actually Work
- How to Achieve Your Goals Easily
- 3 Surprising Reasons Why You Need to Rediscover Slow Growth
- Why Getting Started is More Important Than Succeeding
- When to be Unreasonable With Yourself
- Why is it So Hard to Stick to Good Habits?
- The Difference Between Professionals and Amateurs
- Identity-Based Habits: How to Actually Stick to Your Goals This Year
- Keystone Habits: The Simple Way to Improve All Aspects of Your Life
Self-Improvement Research Studies
If you are interested in geeking out on the latest self-improvement research, then I recommend looking at studies from these top professors:
The History of Self-Improvement
I’m currently in research mode. I’ll be sharing more about how and when self-improvement evolved in this section.