Hi, I’m James Clear. I’ve been writing at jamesclear.com since 2012. I’m the author of the New York Times bestseller, Atomic Habits, which has sold more than 1 million copies worldwide. I'm also known for my popular 3-2-1 newsletter, which is sent out each week. Click here to learn more and sign up.
How My Work Will Benefit You
The central question I explore through my work is, “How can we live better?”
My writing focuses on topics like…
- How to start (and stick to) good habits
- How to make good decisions and avoid bad ones
- How to accomplish more in less time and think strategically
- How to design an environment where success is natural
- How to achieve big results without overwhelming yourself
…and much more. Most importantly, I write about how to put these ideas into practice in daily life.
Truthfully, most of the concepts I write about aren’t my own. They are ideas I discover and build upon after many hours of reading and research. I look for insights from all fields: architecture, biology, economics, history, mathematics, physics, philosophy, and more. I consider it my job to find the best ideas and explain them in a way that is actionable and easy-to-understand.
I like the idea of leaving a great “intellectual inheritance.” Humankind progresses by adding layer upon layer of knowledge. We all benefit from the insights of our ancestors. I’m just doing my part to add a little bit of knowledge to the pile by creating this website and sharing my work.
This isn’t the only way to think about life, but it’s how I think about it. I don't claim to have all the answers and I still have a lot to learn, but I'm happy to share what I've discovered along the way. Hopefully, you’ll find it useful as well.
Here are a few notable facts about me…
Author of the international bestselling book, Atomic Habits.
- Over 1 million copies sold worldwide.
- 12 consecutive months on the New York Times bestseller list.
- Translated into 40+ languages.
Creator of jamesclear.com and the popular 3-2-1 weekly newsletter.
- Over 150 articles published.
- Over 500,000 email subscribers.
- More than 10 million visitors per year to jamesclear.com.
Speaker at major companies and events.
- I deliver 2-3 speeches per month about habits and continuous improvement.
- Previous clients include Cisco, General Electric, Honda, Intel, LinkedIn, Lululemon, McKinsey & Company, Merrill Lynch, and many more.
- If you are interested in having me speak at your event, please click here to submit a request.
Weightlifter and (former) athlete.
- In college, I was an ESPN Academic All-American as a baseball pitcher.
- Best deadlift — 501 lbs (227 kg)
- Best squat — 425 lbs (192 kg)
- Best bench — 305 lbs (138 kg)
- Best clean — 315 lbs (143 kg)
Contributor to Against Malaria Foundation (AMF).
- Each year, I donate 5% of profit to our charity partner, Against Malaria Foundation.
- AMF distributes nets to protect children, pregnant mothers, and families from mosquitos carrying malaria. It is one of the most cost-effective ways to extend life and fulfills my bigger mission to help others realize their full potential.
- We have provided nets for over 8,000 people (an estimated 87 years of life saved).
Other Projects and Interests
Here are a few things that fascinate me, but typically don't write about…
Architecture. I love great landscape designs and thoughtful building layouts. Specifically, I enjoy examples of blending nature with the design of beautiful and functional homes and urban spaces.
Book recommendations. It's basically my job to read. After a few years, I compiled my personal reading list with the best books in a wide-range of categories including the best business books, best self-help books, best biographies, and more.
Great speeches. I've spent years digging around for speeches that are insightful and interesting. I created transcripts and compiled a list of great speeches that are not well known. To the best of my knowledge, this is the only place on the web where you can find all of these transcripts in one place.
Restaurant recommendations. Finding incredible restaurants while traveling is one of my favorite things to do. I keep a spreadsheet of my favorite spots.
Travel Photography. I've taken photos in more than 40 countries and I've loved every minute of it. I have many favorite places, including Australia, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Norway, Portugal, and Turkey. Through photography, I have come to appreciate great composition like the hidden beauty of Steve McCurry's photos or the brilliance of Every Frame a Painting.
Ultralight travel. For some reason, I enjoy geeking out about travel bags. I publish a list of my favorite travel gear with detailed explanations for how I travel with one backpack and why I pack each piece of gear.
What to do Next
The primary place that I share my work is through my weekly newsletter. It's free and over 500,000 people subscribe. No spam. Nothing annoying or unexpected.
Just enter your email address below and click “Get Updates!”
Don't see a signup form? Send me a message here and I'll add you right away.